Colleen Venable's Reviews > Death Note, Vol. 11: Kindred Spirit

Death Note, Vol. 11 by Tsugumi Ohba

Sep 28, 08

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read in September, 2008

Can I just say that Near's doll collection totally freaks me out! Why do they sort of but not really look like the characters? Eeeee. Why can't he go back to constantly playing with plastic ducks?! I find it funny that they felt the need to give Near and Mello these distinct personality ticks. If you ask me it holds their characters back a bit and venture more towards caricature. This might have been a 2 star rating if it wasn't for those last few pages. No even more than that—those last few panels. Totally knocked me away! I actually almost gave it 5 but then had to remind myself I had fallen asleep, nose first into the book spine, around page 20. Not a great sign. I am totally a Mello fan, even if I still think he should have been written as a female. Though I can't complain as much since Hal Linder is finally representing a smart strong woman in this book series, literally the first one we've come across in over 2,000 pages! Of course she IS a double-crosser and casually finds an excuse in the beginning to strip and shower while holding a conversation, but compared to the horrible representations of women in this whole series Linder is pretty darn bad-ass. Let's hope she plays a bigger role in the final two books. One that DOESN'T involve her falling in love or learn to make casserole or something.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death Note, Vol. 11.