Barbara Elsborg's Reviews > Snowdrops

Snowdrops by A.D. Miller

2050186
Jun 02, 12

Read in June, 2012

Three and a half stars. What I loved - the setting, the detail about Moscow and Russia and the people. I like the allegorical nature of the story, the secrets hidden below the surface. I like the title. It worked on lots of levels. I like the narrator though I know he's not a likeable man but he was masterly drawn. I wanted to kick him so many times, shake and tell him to DO something. It was as if he was infected by 'the Moscow disease'. Very clever!
What I didn't like - the idea that this was written as a 'confession' to his fiancee. I kept thinking - who'd have this guy? I wish in a way the characters of the others had been a little more fleshed out but I suppose that was part of the book's style - like a sleepy rendition of a country -city - and all that's wrong with it. I found it quite frightening really, that that's the way people live, that corruption has such a hold, that everyone just goes along with it.

Others have given story details with far more eloquence that I could manage. I don't think it's a thriller in any way shape or form. It's much more a dissection of Russian society - an insight into their morals, attitudes and beliefs. Everything in this story had meaning and I suspect I only managed to suss out some of the symbolism.
It's a book I'd read again!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snowdrops.

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Buchanan the very fact that you would read it again is enough for me. Thanks for a great review. I put this on my TBR when it first came out and I can't remember if I have already bought it, but will be checking! Sooz