Erin's Reviews > Shopaholic Ties the Knot

Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella

Jun 02, 12

bookshelves: fiction, chick-lit
Read in September, 2004

OK. Don’t panic. I’m sure Sophie Kinsella will get around to writing more Shopaholic books. Just because this chick-lit trilogy has ended doesn’t mean there won’t be more. There probably will be many additions to this series — Shopaholic Has a Baby, a Shopaholic’s Mid-Life Crisis, and a Grandchild of a Shopaholic. Right? Er… Right!

Chick-lit hasn’t always been my thing. The main characters are usually extremely ditzy, and the genre’s authors tend to exaggerate the worst female characteristics possible, relying on stereotypes to fuel their prose. Although the Shopaholic books include everything I hate about chick-lit, I couldn’t help but fall (begrudgingly) in love with the procrastinating Becky Bloomwood and company.

Had I read Confessions of a Shopaholic, the first book in the trilogy, by itself, I probably would’ve missed out on this entertaining series. It was amusing, but didn’t live up to the hype generated by numerous friends who’d recommended it. In Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, however, I started to better understand Becky and her problem, and Kinsella’s Manhattanite characters were so dead on that I found myself siding with Becky and wincing more and more with each mistake she made. By the time the story was over, I had warmed to Becky and no longer saw her as the unbelievable twit from the first book.

But Shopaholic Ties the Knot is by far my favorite of the three. Becky’s character actually matures, something that might not be as apparent to those who don’t read these books back-to-back. Her decision-making gets better (which is good, because the messes she gets herself into get worse!) and she acts much more like the adult she is than the pseudo grownup she was in the first two parts.

I’ve heard there’s another book in this series — Shopaholic & Sister — and I’m curious to check it out. I’m wondering how Kinsella will pull this one off, as Becky is an only child…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shopaholic Ties the Knot.