Cristin's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

142079
Jul 31, 07

bookshelves: fantasy

Upon further reflection...I think this installment could have been much better. Perhaps Rowling was freaking out under the enormous pressure...never expecting her series to be so wildly adored by so many...Still, this book left something to be desired, I think. Rowling made so many predictable moves...and not even the ones that would have had more of an impact...

Snape could have been the hero of the entire series, for example. It would have been rather ironic, considering the fact that he's been the object of every one's disdain--which would have made an outright act of heroism all the more outstanding. I understand that he made a significant contribution to Harry's safety, and Snape's storyline was heartbreaking and interesting...but he could have openly faced Voldermort. He could have raged and fought--he was a powerful wizard, after all... Snape should have gone out with a bang, I think--instead of a blood-soaked whimper.

Also..The necklace around Ron's neck...bringing all of his envy and mistrust to the surface...Where have we seen this before? (just take a glance at the Lord of the Rings)...Harry and Ron have already had that fight about inequity in popularity...been there, done that...Why revisit it in such an awkward, hackneyed way?

The gratuitous deaths also bother me. If you're going to kill a character off, kill one who is critical to Harry's development. Make Harry a three dimensional character! Do something earth-shattering to him!

Also--merely showing a pile of dead bodies on the floor doesn't drive the point home. Some peripheral characters were cast off, as though their deaths were intended to evoke a certain emotion--yet they were clearly not considered important enough to be given more than a page of recognition upon their demise...What does that lead the reader to feel about those characters?

Also, why the hell did Harry spend such a huge swath of the book sitting in a tent like a big doofus? Why didn't Rowling use all of those pages to illustrate the maturation of Harry's skill as a wizard--to give us some details as far as Voldemort was concerned...why wasn't there more conflict there? Why am I taking all of this so damn seriously is a better question...bleh.

There were some interesting bits in this book. I guess it's time for me to state it--there's better young adult fantasy out there...series that deserve just as much, if not much more recognition...as they are better written, better rendered, etc.

I do think of Harry Potter with fondness, however. Perhaps it's the combination of book and film...perhaps it's because so many friends of mine adore the books...I like them for their entertainment value...These are good pleasure reads--and could have been elevated to something much more. Perhaps my expectations were too high for this one.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cristin (last edited May 02, 2013 06:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cristin Stevil,

I see how it is. You just don't feel the sweet, wizardly love that most of us (honored, privileged, delighted) readers do.

So what if Voldemort has put a spell on your brain? It's alright. Harry will probably jump out of the book and save you, even though you wouldn't know it if Harry himself tapped you on the shoulder and said "Oi! Stevil! Read my books!"

Dumbledore would be sorely disappointed in you.

message 2: by Cristin (last edited Jul 28, 2007 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cristin Ahem.

A valiant effort to offend me, Professor Severus Stevil, I must admit...However, I am determined to ignore your cruel comments.

Perhaps you should invest in a monocle, in order to better faciliate your ability to finish a page (at least!) of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince...and I would also recommend investing in some lectures on good manners.

PS: My driving record is as pristine as a Phoenix feather--and you must realize that it is not I, but the fool who raced through a stop sign, that requires driving lessons. You have wounded my pride. I therefore challenge you to a duel. Pistols at dawn!

Michelle Do either of you need a second? Only please hold the duel at sunset since I never rise before 10 a.m.!

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare Eh...am I interrupting something?

Anyway, I totally agree with the Snape thing. I don't like how he died. Way too melodramatic, and plus, he should have died fighting.

message 5: by Rehan (new)

Rehan Mollah Your review is okay, especially about snapes significance. I feel as though instead of a review of the book you were slating it for not having your certain way. J.K Rowling is an amazing author in my eyes and without her this series wouldn't exist. It's hard to make a 7 book series, each being well over 300 pages, but she made it all make sense. I personally believe if someone starts a story they should also end it respectively.

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Murray bahaha, a big doofus :)