Tamary Anderson's Reviews > Goodbye for Now

Goodbye for Now by Laurie Frankel

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 07 to 10, 2012

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I loved this book... so glad that I got a chance to read it!

Sam is a computer programming nerd. He works for a online dating company and creates an algorithm to match people up with their one true soul mate. He uses it on himself first and finds Meredith. Turns out, the algorithm works TOO good: the company is losing money.

Sam is fired and when Meredith's beloved grandma died, he begins a new "job" = creating an algorithm to allow Meredith to communicate with her grandmother. At first it is just e-mails but soon (@ Meredith's request) it branches out to video chat. As other characters learn of Sam's amazing invention (such as Meredith's eccentric cousin, Dash) it is decided that it is too much of a miracle to keep it to themselves. rePose is born.

Coming from someone who has lost family members (including my mother) at a young age, this book REALLY got me. I understood exactly how these characters felt. If I had the chance to do this with my mom, I would be forking over the cash in a second. I loved that this book made an unreal thing seen SO REAL and not at all impossible. Who knows, maybe this technologist WOULD work.

I didn't notice any spelling errors. The grammar is a little off, but it seems to just be the style of the author's writing and it isn't distracting at all. I will definitely be looking forward to reading more novels by Laurie Frankel.

I recommend this book to ANYONE, because we have all lost someone and wished we could have them back... just for a second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye for Now.

06/07/2012 page 20
7.0% "Sam is searching for his soulmate... and so are the clients of his employers of an online dating site. He creates an algorithm that matches you with one person... your soulmate. Sam tests it out on himseld and his date with Meredith looks promising. Love it so far!"