Lynn's Reviews > The Last Van Gogh

The Last Van Gogh by Alyson Richman

Jun 12, 12

Read from June 01 to 12, 2012

This is a story that mixes historical fact with rumor and supposition, woven into story form. Vincent Van Gogh spent his last summer at Auvers, in the French countryside under the care of Dr. Paul Gachet. They became close in the process, and Vincent spent a lot of time at the Gachet home, where he met Marguerite, Dr. Gachet's 21 year-old daughter. This book is about her, and her romance with Vincent, which is rumored, at least to have really happened, and is even thought to have been a contributory factor in his suicide. Vincent knew that as a starving artist he had nothing to offer Marguerite and her father would not have approved of the union even if he did, as he sought to keep Marguerite a virtual prisoner as his assistant and glorified housekeeper.

I would have to admit that I liked Richman's book "The Lost Wife" even better than this book, but I really enjoyed this book as well. Richman has a knack for painting vivid word pictures of the times and people that she writes about, using the appropriate language of that era and place. I intend to read her other two books as well, because each deals with very diverse times and places. Worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Van Gogh.