Arley Cole's Reviews > Perchance to Dream

Perchance to Dream by Peter Lukes

Jun 01, 12

Read in May, 2012

In Perchance to Dream, Peter Lukes asks the question, "What if our dreams were more than dreams? What if they were doorways?" Manuel Corr is a dream detective who can enter the dreams of criminals and find out everything from where they hid the body to how they laundered the money. But when he investigates a white collar conspiracy, everything he thinks he knows turns out to be wrong.

I really enjoyed this book a great deal. The protagonist is likeable, even though he's a bit stubborn. The villains are vividly portrayed, believably threatening and a little gross at times. His world is just enough in the future to make his technology plausible, but just close enough to our own to make the conspiracy Manuel faces really scary. I could see just the same kind of thing happening in my own world. If it did, I'd just hope a guy like Manuel was around to try to stop the baddies before they take over!

Lukes gets to have loads of fun with us too in setting this book in a world of dreams. He draws some fabulous settings and puts some crazy action in them. I loved it. In fact, I was so into this book that I missed the first episode of Hatfields and McCoys because I couldn't put it down! I was in a really good part and had to see what happened next. (I did catch the episode in rerun the next night though---I'm not totally out of touch!)

This is a really fun book and I hope to see a sequel soon!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perchance to Dream.