LD Durham's Reviews > The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, a story of pirates and Panamindorah

The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, a story of pirates and Panam... by Abigail Hilton

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, gay-fiction
Read in May, 2012

Absolutely stunning! Amazingly engaging and beautifully written!

I originally read the first book in this series as it was free on Amazon. When I came to the end of it, I was so completed invested in this land and its characters, how could I not immediately get the whole set?

This book centers on two main characters, but the whole cast is incredibly important and no character was shallow or given short shrift. Hilton does an amazing job of giving life to everyone and everything. The politics of the lands, the emotions of each character, the details, everything is written with such adroitness, it blew me away.

There is a ton of heart in these books. Deep emotions, without being fluffy, and amazing excitement and harrowing feats of crazy bravery. It gets dark in places and then truly beautiful. There is a ship battle in one of the books that had me on the edge of my seat and with my heart in my throat. My spouse was subjected to a full re-enactment of it right after I finished reading it.

The story is told from the perspective of Gerard, an ex-Prince and current chief of Police, and a truly good guy. Gerard is smart, calm, a strong fighter, and has a huge heart. But the real star has to be Silveo. If you are not into Silveo after reading the first book for free, then don't bother with the rest. He is the villain, the hero, the comedy, the scary, the heart, and the cruelty of this series. He is as multi-faceted as Gerard is steady and true. They work well together, even when they don't.

This is a true favorite and I look forward to many, many re-reads. I highly recommend it.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, a story of pirates and Panamindorah.