aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)'s Reviews > The Hum and the Shiver

The Hum and the Shiver by Alex Bledsoe

Disappointing. I won't be continuing with this series. I much prefer his sword fantasy series. This went off the rails because Bronwyn Hyatt makes no sense to me. She is a very strange character, starting with her killer instincts, her pride and love for family and they return the affection, yet she takes pleasure in the masochism of giving blow jobs to every man, literally, in town. She is First Daughter, pure blood, raised with respect, but she's a damaged teenaged soul giving blow jobs to whoever wants one. She's so rebellious, she will not obey her community's expectations or responsibilities, despite the damage that will cause. She would rather go to war and kill because despite her masochism and lack of self-respect for herself and her community, somehow she's also aggressive and patriotic, then when she comes back horribly damaged by war drama and trauma, she's powerful and strong enough to go to war to defend her brother from a local criminal, but too weak and scared and destroyed by war to defend her mother, who she loves as much as her brother. But maybe that's so because she came home and walked in on her parents making love on the couch after a date, and her mother sees her but continues on maliciously to have an orgasm while staring at her daughter. Otherwise they all adore and respect each other, and would kill for each other. Really? This make sense to you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hum and the Shiver.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert well, jeez, when you put it that way...
I assume/hope the other 90% of Bronwyn's character will be in book 2.

aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) Yeah, perhaps she'll experience enough happiness to try pimping herself for genital sex instead.

Kerry So a strong woman can't want to give blowjobs? Also, I didn't realize one could maliciously have an orgasm. Neat.

aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) Kerry wrote: "So a strong woman can't want to give blowjobs? Also, I didn't realize one could maliciously have an orgasm. Neat."

Thank you for educating me. I didn't realize women like Bronwyn existed. Are you real popular with men then? A sexual achievement that regrettably I chose to miss out on. I wanted to be good at other things.

Kerry I'm actually a bit surprised that you identify as a feminist. I think we all have different ideas of what's "too slutty" for ourselves, but shouldn't we respect other women's rights to define that for themselves? If Bronwyn found it empowering to go down on dudes (and I agree with her that a guy in that position is at his most vulnerable,) I believe her.

Lorraine Floyd I think her promiscuous character is also tied to the fact that she is faery, and typical faery stories involve females (and males) who have a high sex drive and enjoy having many lovers. It's part of the foreign, "otherness" aspect of that folklore.

message 7: by aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) (last edited Jul 25, 2014 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) It is difficult to respond because my review seems to be misleading people as to what I dislike about the book and character.

Lorraine, you and Kerry before you, are assuming my review was about me being annoyed about the sex scenes and how often faery Bronwyn engaged men in sex. Kerry, I must say, made me curious about what she was saying so I wanted further clarification about why she was so certain strong women sucked strongly. She appeared to have knowledge I, alas, do not have. Instead I caused her to doubt my feminism. Rather than continue on and perhaps be hurtful, I left the last word to her.

Instead, some of what I actually thought, was that Bronwyn's sexuality reflected a damaged psyche. It did not make her happy.

I thought it accomplished several underlying psychological satisfactions, more than physical relief. To me, Bronwyn thought she had sexual power over men in performing sex on men (it wasn't with, it was on), which was an instant gratification on two levels, while at the same time she felt rebellious and free of social chains. Actually though, such surface joy of breaking rules is forgotten as soon as both parties walk away, and no real friendship or closeness is attained. No waking up together in the morning in a cuddle, no mutual back scrubbing in the shower, no enjoyment of waffles and bacon. Nobody to remember your favorite flower or birthday. Instead all parties forget it happened, except as a quickie ephemeral event, not to be mentioned.

In my ancient past, my generation called it a zipless f*ck, from a book called Fear of Flying. I thought of it immediately when I read The Hum etc.

I understand, though, your specific point, the use of the 'other' as a fictional device in the art of storytelling. We all want to escape our humdrum ordinariness without real danger or real loss of social standing or face. We imagine the wild glory of f*cking everybody we want, with no penalties! no exhaustion! Just beauteous bodies and never-ending nerve endings firing!

I may be an old woman, but I came of age when the pill was just invented and cheap. Men pushed women into sex (this was the 1970's, women had to be pushed) by saying look mom no more pregnancy worries, so let's do it. Bizarrely, I was a year younger than my classmates, having been moved up one grade prematurely, so I watched my friends make all the mistakes that I then avoided. One was discovering that at least for my teen girlfriends, zipless f*cks were a fantasy - for males, of pure heaven, for women, more like a lingering depression the next morning after and a feeling something was missing, like emotion.

I may be wrong since I've been married a long time, but I think people, especially women, still prefer some emotional feeling along with all of the friction. However, I am told many more men are evolving into liking women as people, faery or not, and moving beyond the female mouth and nether regions, realizing there is more there there.

But this is mostly digression. My real point is that the sex in ThIS book by THIS character most certainly sucks - but not on the level I apparently mislead readers of my review. The writing sucks. The plot sucks. The character motivations suck. Why is Bronwyn engaging in sex like a damaged person? It wasn't that she engaged in sex, it's that she appeared so angry, mean and disappointed by it all, bleak, sad, deadened. Yet, except for her war experience, she was a strong unbroken, grab life by the tail, face her problems with a sword in her fist, type of gal, except she was also broken, weak, run away from her problems, with her sword useless kind of gal!

Just what kind of gal was she? She didn't make sense to me, literally, unless she was a multiple personality...

Michelle This review kinda makes me want to read the book even more. Thanks. Lol. As for the comments... I enjoyed those too. :)

aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot) Your welcome! So gratified to satisfy people.(Wow! Bronwyn and I do understand each other after all!)