Lauren's Reviews > You Don't Love Me Yet

Jun 05, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed
Read from June 01 to 05, 2012

I thought this would be my kind of novel. From the description it seems like it would be my kind of novel. Everything about it screams my kind of novel. And maybe it is my kind of novel, in theory, but certainly not in execution. The oh-so-tragic characters and their oh-so-tragic lives are stuffed with moody hipster clichés and too-clever-for-their-own-good quips that read more like an aging wannabe trying to prove how "with it" they are than someone who is actually cool. It's like someone ripping off Palahniuk and Hornby but without most of what makes those two authors interesting—the characters are unlikable but not in an entertaining way, and the situations in which they find themselves are unrealistic but not fantastic. There are moments that I liked, where the wit was on point or the descriptions of the music rang true, but overall the book fell flat. Judging by the comparative ratings on goodreads, this is probably the worst of Lethem's novels, so I may give Fortress of Solitude or Motherless Brooklyn a try, but based on this book I'm not going to get my expectations too high.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Don't Love Me Yet.

06/04/2012 page 149