Lisa Annesley's Reviews > Shadow Rising

Shadow Rising by Kendra Leigh Castle

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: kindle, pnr, vampire, arc, shifter, feline-shifter, reviewed-4-blog
Read from June 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy

[Ariane] would need all of [her nerve] and more if she really wanted to find her friend. Not to mention evading her own capture. The Grigori did not take kindly to deserters.

Ariane is a Grigori, a member of an ancient race of secretive vampires of which little is known by the other vampire dynasties. The Grigori are watchers of the world, never interfering. Ariane has spent her life secluded in the desert in the American southwest. Then her only friend, Sammael, goes missing. Ariane escapes her gilded cage in search of him.

Damien Tremaine is a vampire cat-shifter with the House of Shadows. He's a Shade--an assassin and a thief. He's been given the task of tracking down Sammael for the Grigori, and reporting to them if he also finds Ariane. He does find Ariane as they're both following the same lead, and opposites attract. He discovers he can't turn in Ariane. Instead, they end up working together. And doing more than just working. But their investigation leads them down a path that could destroy their growing attraction. And it leads them to the ultimate secret that the Grigori have been hiding.

*****

"Why do you keep calling me [kitten]? I'm not your kitten. I'm not a pet or a small, fuzzy animal!"…
"It seems to fit," he said. "Beautiful. Touchable. Very sharp claws."

Ariane is a soft-spoken, naïve, innocent heroine. But don't let that first impression fool you. She's also strapped with daggers and a sword and knows how to use them. She's fully trained as a Grigori warrior, and it comes in handy.

Damien Tremaine was the debauched "spare" in the "heir and a spare" when he was mortal. He hasn't changed much over the ensuing hundreds of years. He's smart-mouthed, and he's got some good lines.

He was charming, damn it! She was supposed to notice!

He's a thief and assassin who only lives for the next job. He's capable of lust, but he thinks he's incapable of love. However, Arian sees that he's also got a very vulnerable, honorable side underneath that flip attitude of his. She brings it out in him. That's the beauty of their relationship. You'll find yourself rooting for them, and maybe even crying at their darkest hour when all seems lost. I know I needed a Kleenex.

Their growing relationship will keep you turning the pages, but so will the mystery of Sammael. Why did he disappear? He holds a number of answers to secrets that threaten Ariane's world. Some of the answers may surprise you.

There is an excerpt from the next book, Immortal Craving, at the end of Shadow Rising.

ARC Provided by NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

See more of my reviews at Paranormal Romance with Lisa Annesley Sign up to subscribe by e-mail, and you'll be notified of giveaways as soon as they're posted!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Rising.