Alex's Reviews > The Weeping Empress

The Weeping Empress by Sadie S. Forsythe

Jun 01, 2012

Read from June 01 to 03, 2012

For more reviews visit my blog here: http://possessionofbooks.blogspot.com

Betrayal, lust, power, murder and blood, lots and lots of blood. This novel was absolutely amazing I literally spent the whole weekend reading it and now that I think back on it I wish I hadn't finished it so fast because I'm really not ready to leave Chiyo's blood-thirsty world. Chyio Algaeca suddenly finds herself waking up in an unknown location where she is immediately thrown into a strange but exciting danger, pursued by a mysterious cult, envisioned by a beautiful goddess, prey to a psychotic emperor she clings and quickly learns from two powerful warriors to lead through the chaos that attempts to slowly but effectively destroy her. She becomes but a small pawn in life's deadly game.

Firstly, the writing style and technique of this novel was just beautiful and of an experienced author. Each chapter teleported me into a breath-taking situation where I experienced what Chiyo attempted to fight off. You can tell Sadie Forsythe has a deep passion for writing and most chapters kept me with the suspense I needed to continue reading. I sometimes found myself fazed and somewhat astounded by Chiyo's careless regard for human life, she made death seem like some elaborate and beautiful dance and was mesmerizing and enthralling to read about. Chyio was such a strong and courageous female protagonist who never once throughout the whole novel doubted her actions. This really added to the novel's overall feel and I think it was this braveness that made me enjoy it as much as I did.

The novel shifted various times within a chapter to different perspectives and this really helped in the understanding of what was happening and it was really interesting to see how various other characters thought but occasionally it got a bit confusing.I also think that the cover of the novel should be slightly more colorful in order to entice more people to read it. For me the most interesting part of the novel was the mysterious cult, they kept me on the edge of my seat and I was really interested in their customs and beliefs mixed with hints of deceptiveness. Two of the male protagonists who we meet early in the novel (Muhjah and Senka) were intriguing especially with their actions and their trivial care for human life and it's through these two characters that we see Chyio develop into an even stronger woman. These two male protagonists to me because sometimes indistinguishable and I sometimes had to re-read the dialogue to figure out who was actually speaking. The novel was action-packed, a refreshing change to what I'm used to and the ending was unexpected yet satisfying. There were many questions left unanswered in which I assume to be leading up to a much anticipated sequel which I would love to get my hands on.

Therefore In conclusion, this book was an action packed novel of murder, strength, the hunt for redemption and deceit.This is a must read for anyone who is looking for a new novel and I know personally that I am really excited for the sequel (even if it is a year or so away)

Also a big Thank you to Sadie for sending me a review copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weeping Empress.

06/01/2012 page 2