Erika Gill's Reviews > Eona

Eona by Alison Goodman

Jun 01, 12

Read in May, 2012

I wrote a glowing review for Eon, and I'm sad to say I can't do the same for Eona. It just wasn't as good, in my opinion, and I think that opinion largely comes from the flaws and weaknesses of the characters in this book: the second and final part of the story.

I know that's nonsensical, because who wants to read about perfect flawless characters who never make mistakes and aren't very realistic? Nobody, I suppose, but that didn't stop me from despising every single character by the end of the book. Except maybe Dela, and the minor characters like Rilla, Vida and Tozay.

I honestly cannot understand the romance in the book either, because though Kygo/Eona is clearly set out to be the OTP, Kygo is a selfish asshat with serious rage issues, not to mention being controlling in a very scary way. But he's *pretty* and a prince, so, you know, he's AMAZING.

Sadly, I thought Ido was much better constructed, and I understood the relationship Goodman created between him and Eona, I was just disappointed to see he was really as villainous as when he was introduced.

Don't even get me STARTED on Eona, who was utterly surrendered to the mercy of misogyny the minute she embraced her femininity. She was so strong as a boy, why couldn't she be AS strong as a female character? It drove me nuts! Here I was thinking THIS woman was meant to begin to shift her society's perceptions of women based on her high profile, dire responsibilities, and power, and she ended up just being a wishy-washy liar. If it can be said that she had strengths, they all fell into the set of "womanly" characteristics which I am so, so tired of seeing praised in "strong" female characters.

Let's not even mention the irony of the fact that the Mirror Dragon is the keeper of Truth, and Eona consistently lies to every single person she comes in contact with, regardless of the fact that over and over again it proves to screw her over. I understood that in the context of her life, trust was difficult or impossible for her, but I still think a more perceptive character would have realized that lying is her undoing.

I guess if anything, she is written very convincingly as an incredibly naive 16 year old.

Despite ALL OF THAT, it was still a pretty engrossing read. Irritating at times, sure, but still well written.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eona.