El's Reviews > The Corsican Bandit

Sep 28, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: 20th-centurylit-late, corsica
Read in October, 2008

This is the first (and, assuredly, the last) Harlequin book I have read - and only because it takes place in Corsica did I even read it in the first place. Englishwoman Troy goes to Corsica to finish her grandfather's book about Corsican wildlife. Driving through the mountains she has a close encounter with some goats (probably the most realistic part of the entire book) and she meets the Italian, Lucien. He is dark and brooding and everything I imagine a Harlequin man to be. He has a nephew, Pietro, visiting from Rome as he is quite the little troublemaker and he does not want to go back. Both men have a thing for Troy and she is "discomfited" quite frequently (if it were a drinking game as to how many times "discomfited", "discomfiting", "discomfiture", etc. were used, I would probably still be drunk right now).

It's not so much that I expected this to be good, so I can not say that I am dissapointed. But really, it was incredibly bad. And I'm the first to review it here, so I wish I could write some spectacular review. But it really is just not worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Corsican Bandit.

10/03/2008 page 82 "Cripes, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read..."

message 1: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda I hope you don't have any discomfiting moments on your trip! ;)

message 2: by El (new) - rated it 1 star

El Yes, it would be best for everyone if discomfiting moments are at a minimum - which is probably why I am not at all concerned with "night life"! :)

It's just... why couldn't the author mix it up a little? "Fluster", "Embarrass", "Confound" - these are all good words!

I suppose I'm just overthinking the whole thing, much like overthinking I Know Who Killed Me.

message 3: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda I don't think a thesarus is allowed when writing a Harlequin novel.

Imagine if you had watched the "extended strip scene" from I Know Who Killed Me. Then there'd be even more to analyze!