Andrea's Reviews > Sam's Letters to Jennifer

Sam's Letters to Jennifer by James Patterson

Jun 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: chick-lit, fiction, national-bestseller, recommended-on-goodreads, romance
Recommended to Andrea by: Chase
Recommended for: People who love smarm - no matter how predictable
Read on May 20, 2012 , read count: 1

The extremely high level of praise written for this book makes me a little sad inside. Not "I've lost all faith in humanity" sad, but a little depressed, none the less. I managed to read this book in one day, while being basically forced to do nothing else and having limited options as to what I had available to read. I LOVE James Patterson, so I started out with fairly high hopes. I say fairly as opposed to really because this is not normally the kind of book I enjoy. I like my smarm to be limited to the puff pieces on the news (after having just watched 45 minutes of things that make me think I have lost my faith in humanity) and movies no longer than 2 hours and watched solely for the purpose of making me cry (it's a good idea to clear out the nasal cavity at least once a month).
Anywho, the writing was good, as Patterson's writing always seems to be. The plot itself was just okay. I only had a few moments of "Oh my God, you must be kidding! That's sooooooo obvious." That being said, it was too many for me to really enjoy the book. Let's put it this way, there was an except in this book of another of James Patterson's crime novels and I enjoyed the 10 or so pages of that more. And it involved a male prostitute being electrocuted to death with a toaster. I think I just don't like reading Patterson unless there are dead people involved. And I mean dead, not dying slowly in supposedly poignant ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam's Letters to Jennifer.