Suzy's Reviews > You Lost Me: Why Young Christians Are Leaving Church... and Rethinking Faith

You Lost Me by David Kinnaman

5731914
Jun 25, 12

Read from June 01 to 18, 2012

I enjoy research if well-written, and this book certainly is. I don't know how many solutions I gathered from the book (I am a bit cut and dry and do like solutions more than I like questions), but the purpose of the book seemed to be to pose the question, "How should the church today respond to this information?" Our own church is responding initially by asking the same question and promising to reThink church. The crux of the matter is that 60% of those between the ages of 18 and 29 are leaving the church, though not necessarily their faith. Faith has been lost in the institution, though not in a relationship with the God who has given us the charge to love our neighbor as ourselves. This generation is sitting up and taking notice that "religion" is doing a terrible job with the given task - to act as Christ's ambassadors - and has in essence fired us. They love the church, if one is speaking of the body of Christ. The do not trust the church, if one is speaking of the man-made institution. This book is a great call for the church to wake up and leave behind all that is man-made, and return to her organic roots. Unless the Lord build the house, the laborers labor in vain. Here's to a church that embraces with love the brokenness of all mankind, including the brokenness of her elders and teachers. Here's to the end of the masquerade and a return to the ministry of Jesus - the one in which he was accused of being a drunkard and a glutton while refusing to demonize those who were not insiders. "You Lost Me" solidifies, I think, our church's resolve to see that such a life is lived out at least in our little community.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Lost Me.