Emily's Reviews > The Last Sin Eater

The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers

Jun 01, 12

Read in May, 2012

This is another historical fiction book that had a super interesting premise; a Sin Eater was a person who was paid to take upon himself the sins of the deceased & their consequences in the afterlife. The author's note says that the practice was common in the early 19th century in England, Scottish lowlands and near the Welsh border. The custom was brought over by some immigrants to the Americas & practiced in remote areas of Appalachia. This story focuses on one such (fictional) sin eater and the small village he serves. The protagonist is Cadi, a young girl with a heavy conscience & desire to find the sin eater to relieve herself of this burden.

This is a very unique story & I loved Cadi. I think most of us can relate to that feeling of guilt & being unable to find a release from it. At first, the colloquial speech slowed me down, but eventually I was able to read it without difficulty. I think I'd've enjoyed the book more if the last 4 chapters or so had been condensed. I can't say more without ruining the ending. But this is a good book, something older teenagers might enjoy as well as adults.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Sin Eater.