Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}'s Reviews > Obsidian

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

8282085
Jul 20, 2012

bookshelves: own-kindle, high-expectations, five-stars, lived-up-to-the-hype, reviewed
Read from June 23 to 24, 2012

I had to pick this book up. After all the hype, I couldn’t not read it. I even bought it! This book deserves all the hype it’s getting. Read the blurb if you haven’t. Doesn’t it seem a good place for insta love? I mean “have to stick close to Daemon”. But good news, there is no insta love here. When it says Katy hates Daemon’s guts, she means it. Daemon is the biggest jerk I’ve ever read about. He beats Jace, guys! He is just UGH!

Sure there is some drooling over Daemon because he’s hot, yet she immediately reminds herself how much a jerk he is. At one point, Daemon and another was embarrassing her in front of everyone, what does she do? Katy doesn’t run away, she DUMPS HER FOOD ON THEM! And just when you think she can’t get any better, she is a devoted book blogger. Why can’t Katy be real?!?!

I completely adored this book. I finished it in 5 hours, staying up till 12:30 am.

Characters:
Katy has to be one of my favorite heroines ever. She was logical, witty, and did not accept Daemon’s attitude just ’cause he’s handsome. She didn’t like Daemon. You’re probably screaming “Why does she keep reminding me of that?!?”. It’s probably because Daemon was hot. And this is a YA book. And she hated him. Yeah, sorry about that. She’s… awesome.

Daemon, the biggest jerk that ever didn’t live. He was urgh for most of the book and when he finally stopped being a complete jerk, I really still couldn’t love him. Maybe he’ll be better in the next book, but I’ll never fangirl him. Not that I’ve ever fangirled any guy before. ::cough:: Naji ::cough::

Dee was cute, perky, and fun to read about. I really loved her character. She could kick butt and still look awesome while doing. Sort of reminds me of a Pinkie Pie/Isabelle from TMI mix. If that even makes any sense… it doesn’t… yeah… let’s just keep going…

Plot & Writing:
Plot:
Ok, truth be told I didn’t know what to expect. YA aliens? All I could think of was I Am Number Four, which isn’t exactly the best thing to say. But it turns out the idea of Lux was really interesting. I loved whole manipulating light thing. Am I the only one who thought the plot screamed: “X-MEN!”?

The plot went smoothly, I never felt bored or distanced. It was fast when it should have been and slower when the story called for it.

Writing:
The prose was magnificent. I felt like I was inside Katy’s head, and boy was that an awesome thing. It was quirky and unique. I didn’t once feel like a robot or a plank of wood had replaced our (splendid) main character.

What I liked and disliked:
Liked:
• Katy
• The aliens
• Dee
• Most of the characters (excluding Daemon from our happy party)
• amazing prose

Disliked:
• Daemon (cue evil eyes)

In conclusion:
This book was amazing. My recommendation: go. buy. the. darn. book. already.

————————————————————————
Favorite Character: Katy
Favorite Quote:

“No. Sorry. You have spent months being the biggest jerk to me. You don’t get to decide to like me one day and think I will forget that. I want someone to care for me like my dad cared for my mom. And you aren’t him.”
- Katy to Daemon when he wanted to hook up with her

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsidian.

Quotes Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“The day my internet was hooked up was better than having a hot guy check out my butt and ask for my phone number.”
tags: katy

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Beautiful face. Beautiful body. Horrible attitude. It was the holy trinity of hot boys.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“How long have you been standing there?"
"Just long enough to see you give Daemon the middle finger."
"He deserved it.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Remind me," he paused, drawing in a stuttered gasp, "to never piss you off again. Christ, are you secretly a ninja?”

06/23/2012
5.0% "I love Katy already! She's already flopped Daimen off. <3" 1 comment

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

Zuleeza Which part reminded you of X-Men? Was it the time-freeze thing?

Zuleeza Wait...Kaji? Not Naji right? Because...because... *gives you a death glare*

Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri} Also the light body thing. Reminded me of some other guys.

Nooo... not Naji. ::fixes review::