Melanie's Reviews > Weapons of Mass Instruction: A Schoolteacher's Journey Through the Dark World of Compulsory Schooling

Weapons of Mass Instruction by John Taylor Gatto

Aug 13, 12

bookshelves: essays, homeschooling, non-fiction, punditry, pedagogy, hello-plutocracy
Read from August 03 to 13, 2012

I really wish he had a clear set of references in the back of this book, though there are in-text citations. He loses some credibility with my by citing Robert Kiyosaki, because the guy is a scammer, liar, and Monday-morning quarterback.

Another thing I don't like is that everyone he mentions as success stories of open-source learning are focused and wildly successful. I am a crazy dilettante at the age of 30; I doubt that freedom to follow my passions would have given me more focus or drive. I agree that schooling sucks out tons of motivation but there are other things that do the same.

This book is a collection of essays written at different points in time, which isn't clear at first but later becomes so, and it's a whole lot less confusing once you understand that. He's clear in that he thinks that testing is useless and that the education system exists to make a bunch of people rich and everyone else dumb, and that the only way to change the system is to totally destroy it. Very libertarian thinker.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Weapons of Mass Instruction.

08/04/2012 page 3
2.0% "Barely out of the prologue and wow."
08/07/2012 page 60
31.0% "Barely out of the prologue and wow."
show 3 hidden updates…