Cierra (The Book Lover's Report)'s Reviews > Unbreak My Heart

Unbreak My Heart by Melissa C. Walker

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: loved
Read on June 01, 2012

This book opens as Clem is packing and her whole family is getting ready for their boating vacation. I was confused, though on what she was made an 'outcast' over, though, because it she doesn't elaborate on the fact. While her and her family is on the boat, she's sulking and sullen (my take) because she lost her best friend, and all other friends, she has to stay in a boat with her family for all summer, and she can't get online anywhere. While at a dockside store, she bumps into James. James, who doesn't know anything about her past and who always seems to be happy. After many insights on herself, her family, and James, Clem finally figures out that some people make mistakes, and that doesn't mean that you're a bad person. This summer vacation mends the broken heart that Clem started it off with.

At first, I was confused. I didn't know that the situation was that she fell for her best friend's boyfriend. It was sort of like one of those suspense shows, where you're trying to figure out what happened. But, it all worked out in the end, because (if you don't read the summary like I didn't) you figure it out through Clem's re-reading of her diary and her many notes asking for Amanda's (her best friend) forgiveness.

I think that this is a great beach read(although they're sailing up rivers), but only if you're by yourself, because some select parts in this made me want to tear up, but I survived. This story is a heartwarming and witty and sad and nice (all at the same time) story that I really enjoyed reading (took me three hours). I thought that Clem was someone that I'd like to get to know, just so I could smack some since into her (in a good way) and tell her that she's not a bad person just because she fell for Ethan; sometimes it just happens.

For those of you who like Sarah Dessen novels, this book would be excellent for you. This and her books shared a lot of characteristics that I love, so there's your recommendation.

This book received 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbreak My Heart.