GateGypsy's Reviews > Just Checking: Scenes From the Life of an Obsessive-Compulsive

Just Checking by Emily Colas

Feb 25, 09

Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

This book was written in tiny bites, no one section spanning more than a page or two, which was kindof nice, because it made it easier to read in snippets and quick dips. It was entertaining, humourous, but also very foreign. Not being the compulsive sort, I found it just amazing that this woman laboured under these worries. I must admit I spent most of my time reading it being more grateful that it wasn't me than being particularly entertained. She did interject levity to the subject, of course, mentioning that, when she listens to people, she isn't actually listening but is drawing stars in her head, one line for each word, and she cannot respond until the person ends on a multiple of five (for a complete star.) She also refers to her mental state as "insanity lite." I couldn't understand her resistance to medication, but then I couldn't understand many of her motivators. The story is told in a very conversational, frank way, and was a quick read, so all in all was a good time had.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Checking.