Deborah's Reviews > A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar

A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar by Suzanne Joinson

Feb 02, 14

bookshelves: first-reads-shelf
Read from June 02 to 08, 2012

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of the book through Goodreads First Reads.
I was not required to post a review.

The story-lines move alternately from 1923 with three main female characters who have traveled to the ancient Chinese Silk Road city of Kashgar to serve as missionaries, to modern-day London where we meet a young woman named Frieda who provides the second-story line . The blurb on the back of the advance copy states that A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar "is a major literary debut in the tradition of Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society--a wonderous richly conceived, irresistible debut novel that sweeps the reader away to a different world".

I have read both the mentioned novels and was enchanted by them, so I had high expectations for this book as well. I truly wish I could say that I enjoyed it, but I found it to be boring, disjointed, and just plain difficult to read and connect with. None of the characters, with the possible exception of Eva, seemed likable or sympathetic and while there was a tie-in between the historical and modern story-lines that connected the two, there was nothing that captured my attention or imagination with either of the stories. The book just felt awkward and depressing. I started to abandon the book entirely, but finished it out in an attempt to be fair.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady Cyclist's Guide to Kashgar.