Gerald Sinstadt's Reviews > Cloaks and Veils

Jun 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: crime
Read from May 31 to June 01, 2012

Within the pages of a work of fiction it may always be necessary to suspend disbelief. Fair enough - it is an unwritten contract between writer and reader. Meanwhile, somewhere fore or aft there is usually some factual information about the author. In Cloaks and Veils we are told that the author is a former undercover CIA officer with a near-decade of covert service around the globe; it must be true but, after reading her book, it almost beggars belief.

Ms Carleson chooses a female undercover CIA agent as the central figure of a complex tale of intrigue, betrayal and treachery. Presumably, we are meant to believe that we are being offered a basically authentic portrait of life in the CIA with only the details altered and maybe stretched just a little to protect the innocent. If so, the CIA must be considering suing Ms Carleson for libel. The Agency has had a bad press in some circles from time to time but seldom can it have been seen as shambolically incompetent as here.

Protocol dictates that I should reveal nothing that might spoil the book for less demanding readers, so I will content myself with asking anyone who takes the plunge to have the word 'contraception' in mind and wonder why it appears nowhere. Of course, it would have demolished the plot but perhaps there is another reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cloaks and Veils.

07/05/2016 marked as: read