Jesse Whitehead's Reviews > Dreamsongs Volume II

Dreamsongs Volume II by George R.R. Martin

Jun 13, 12

Read from June 01 to 13, 2012

Martin is perhaps the most natural story teller I have ever encountered. His words seem to flow so smoothly and tell stories so easily that is sounds like it just fell out of his fingers like a divine gift.

Maybe it is. I don’t know.

There are a few stories in this particular collection that I would skip entirely – in fact I wish I had never read them. However, they are undeniably beautifully written and heartbreakingly lonely.

On the other hand there are other stories that I loved so much that I can’t stop thinking about them.

‘The Ice Dragon’ is the best story featuring a dragon that I’ve ever read.

‘Sandkings’ is an arrogant narcissists nightmare.

‘The Monkey Treatment’ gives me shivers every time I think about eating,… or monkeys.

‘Nightflyers’ and the Haviland Tuf stories are also brilliant.

Martin has a gift with words. He’s very much a long-winded writer. None of his stories are short and his novels are all quite large but I find that it doesn’t matter. He’s got that readable quality that makes it so that you can almost just close your eyes and let the words seep into your mind and carry you away to other worlds and other times.

I’ve been immersed in George R. R. Martin’s stories for some time now and I find that the stories convey an emotional pictograph of his life. But it speaks to all of us on a deeper level because we’ve been there too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamsongs Volume II.

06/13/2012 page 705