Nancy's Reviews > Judgment at Proteus

Judgment at Proteus by Timothy Zahn

Jul 20, 2012

bookshelves: scifi
Read from July 10 to 16, 2012

A satisfying ending to a great scifi series. Zahn had me at "trains in space" and I stayed for the exciting adventures of Compton, Bayta, and other great characters (McMicking!).

At a recent convention Zahn said that the Quadrail series was originally planned for six books but the publisher decided to end it at five. Fortunately this decision was made with enough time for Zahn to wrap up the series. He said the book had some pacing problems because of this, but he was glad to be able to end it rather than leave it hanging.

With that foreknowledge I was able to spot where book 5 would have ended (99% sure, anyway) and where book 6 was grafted on. It sometimes felt a bit sprawling and bogged down in its own intricacies. The finale felt earned, but also slightly abrupt. I was sad that we didn't get to spend more time with allies from previous books (McMicking and Fayr, specifically). I imagine none of this would have occurred to me if book 6 had been its own separate thing.

Overall, very much enjoyed the whole thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Judgment at Proteus.

07/13/2012 page 264