Naomi's Reviews > American Grown: The Story of the White House Kitchen Garden and Gardens Across America

American Grown by Michelle Obama

Jun 01, 12

Read in June, 2012

This book was just all around cool and unusual. Can I give it more than 5 stars?!?!

First off, Mrs. Obama gave a history of gardening in the US focusing on the Victory Gardens of WWII. I have heard alot about them, but it was interesting to see how they had impacted her family while before she was born and while she was growing up. I loved the fact that she demostrated bringing children into the WH and teaching them about food sustainability. I think gardening is a lost artform in a country surrounded with fast food or several types of grocery stores.

Second, she gave bios of White House gardeners and the kitchen staff. It was fascinating to read them discuss how they use the crops each season, not only in meals for the first family, but also state meals.

On a sidenote, she discusses WH gardens and suitable plants through out the seasons, even Winter. Something I never thought about in my own garden, but will def. be taking into consideration this year.

Third, she discusses growing your own garden and tips for making it successful. I had my own garden for years, but I think that backyard gardens are a thing of the past for 99% of Americans and that is sad to me. One of the chefs talked about the taste of fresh picked fruit, herbs and veggies compared to ones that have been sitting in a store and he is right. Having a food blog and cooking alot. I love being able to walk out back and grab my fruits/veggies right off the plant/tree. The great point that she brought up is the concept of community garden plots for those who live in a city or suburb setting. Can't do a community garden in the city...farmers markets are EVERYWHERE! Some are HUGE and some are small in a parking lot, but still worth the looksee!

Finally, the last section of the book was dedicated to recipes which I could have taken or left. In fact, I did..I grabbed some of them, while leaving some!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Grown.