Anika Rothingham's Reviews > Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir

Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  Lawson

F 50x66
Oct 05, 12

bookshelves: currently-reading

I got this as an audio book for my trip home. It is highly entertaining, although I can't tell from the style if it would be as funny if I read on the page. It seems like it'd be really fun to listen to with a group. Usually I find books by comedians (Steve Martin, Tina Fey) to be amusing but kind of tiring after awhile. So far, I don't have that at all with this book. There are lots of amusing stories, laugh out loud moments, and it never feels formulaic, although she does say "you can't make this shit up, people" one too many times.

Disclaimer (audio book): I don't know who in the hell thought it would be ok to let Jenny Lawson SING the titles of each chapter, but it's absolutely unacceptable. I almost didn't listen past the very beginning because of the singing and sound effects. I was like "what the ___ is happening here??" Every time a new chapter comes, I cringe and think what an awful editorial choice that was. In spite of how very awful that is, I'm still giving it 5 stars, so you can see that it must be a very good book. Just know that it's coming, cringe and bear it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Pretend This Never Happened.