Christine's Reviews > Match Me If You Can

Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jun 03, 12

Read from June 01 to 03, 2012

Entertaining read with several laugh out loud moments. Hardly any sex scenes, so definitely chick-lit not erotica.

Flaws? A bit too much on how pretty the men are. There's one scene that made me cringe, where all the women stare at their goregous men and salivate. The author makes fun of how men objectify women, and how women go out of their way to lose weight and fit the image they believe men want. But, at the same time, the men are objectified as well. It's realistic that the women, including the heroine, are portrayed as shallow, if not more so than their male counterparts.

It does delve into the world of sports...which I'm unfamiliar with and was a nice change of pace.
As well as matchmaking. We see both characters working, and it shows how their work makes them happy and defines them. Considering we spend 90% of our time at work - this worked very well. Too often romance novelists skip over this bit.

Supporting characters were well developed and provided humorous comic relief at times. Great dialogue and snappy banter.

The final conflict doesn't quite work. The heroine comes across as complete twit. And you want to shake the hero. It may have worked better if we stuck to the heroine's pov and not flipped to the heroes, not sure. Which is the other reason I couldn't give it four stars.

Other than that? A fun read. With more than one laugh out loud moment. And quite the page turner.
One of the better "chick-lit" contemporaries that I've read to date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Match Me If You Can.