Stephanie's Reviews > The Lies We Told

The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain

F 50x66
Jun 01, 12

Read in May, 2012

After reading the blurb I was really keen to read this book. I've enjoyed all the Diane Chamberlain books I've read before, and so was confident I'd enjoy this one just as much. Initially, I did. I really liked how I was reading from Maya's point of view, and then from Rebecca's. However I felt that the story took quite a while to get going. The blurb reveals that Maya goes missing, but this didn't happen until well over 100 pages in. Whilst I enjoyed the story up until this point, I felt that the blurb suggested all this would happen sooner.
I don't want to to spoil the story for anyone, but I personally found the ending disappointing. There were definitely a few twists, and admittedly I did not see them coming. Yet the last few pages were too neat and "tied up" for me. Whilst it could be seen as a nice happy ending, it seemed completely unrealistic, and this is a shame, as I did enjoy most of the story overall.
I've awarded it three stars because, whilst I did enjoy the story and was compelled to read on for most of it, the ending was a bit of a let down, and given all that had occurred in the story up until the end, there was an opportunity for the ending to be powerful and memorable, but unfortunately I do not feel it was.
Yet I do believe it is a book worth reading if you enjoy a bit of mystery and suspense, but it is definitely not a fair representation of Chamberlain's talents as a writer.
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies We Told.

Wendy Percival I'm currently on page 119 and was feeling like you, Stephanie, that things feel like they need to get going a bit! I'll keep at it, though, (and see if I agree with you about the end) as I find her writing style very comfortable to read.