Jason's Reviews > Anya's Ghost

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novels, fantasy, young-adult
Read in May, 2012

After my bad reading experience with Daniel Handler's WHY WE BROKE UP, I was in a reading rut. I needed a good book to make me excited about reading again, and ANYA'S GHOST did the trick. It helped that it was a graphic novel because I could blaze through it.

Anya wants to be a typical teenager. She's worked hard to abandon her Russian accent. She dresses in uniform like the rest of her classmates at the private school she attends. But sometimes life gets too hard. After a day of stress, Anya runs through a park and accidentally falls into a well. There she finds a skeleton and its owner, a ghost girl. Anya is rightfully scared but as hours pass, she eventually falls asleep. When a passing teenage boy drops a can down in the well, the ghost helpfully wakes Anya up, so she can cry for help and escape the well, leaving the ghost behind, as she can't travel very far from her bones.

What happens next changes everything. One of the ghost girl's finger bones accidentally ends up in Anya's backpack, so now Anya has a ghost with her wherever she goes. What advantages does a ghost offer? Could Anya's life change for the better with a ghost friend?

I found this book to run the gamut of emotions: humor, pathos, and just about everything in between. This is a great addition to my high school class library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anya's Ghost.