Tanya's Reviews > On Mystic Lake

On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah

Jun 06, 12

bookshelves: womens-fiction
Recommended for: fans of relationship-driven fiction
Read from June 01 to 05, 2012, read count: 1

3.5 stars (really wish GR allowed for that)

I think Kristin Hannah is a phenomenal writer and she is definitely one of my favorite authors. She has such a talent for creating character-driven stories that are so rich and multi-layered that I find myself completely immersed.

While her more recent novels (Firefly Lane, forward) are true stand-outs, I still enjoy going back and reading some of her earlier work. On Mystic Lake, while not quite the same caliber as the more recent efforts, is still a solid read. I cared about the main characters and really hoped for their happy ending. I often have a problem with the way young children are portrayed in books, particularly the dialogue. They either sound miniature adults (a 5 year old who speaks like a 35 year old) or else they're just too-cute-to-be-true with oh-so-precious dialogue. Thankfully (with very few exceptions) this was not the case with Izzy. I give kudos to Hannah for not making Blake a one-dimensional cookie-cutter cheating husband, but I still found it impossible to have any empathy for the little weasel. Such a narcissist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Mystic Lake.