Tamara's Reviews > Downtown Owl

Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman

61943
Oct 03, 2008

bookshelves: gen-fic, 2008
Recommended for: Klosterman fans, small-town North Dakota residents (past and present)
Read in October, 2008

If this were the first thing Chuck Klosterman had ever gotten published, it would not propel him to the fame he enjoys, and could even doom him to obscurity. But since it's not, both he and the book will do just fine.

It's also a good thing I grew up in a small town in North Dakota. I know where each of the small towns (other than the fictional Owl) he references are, and have been to probably all of them. And I have known all of the people in the book, just with different names.

Speaking of names, the Marvin Windows character (Google it and you'll learn why the name is so funny), is about my favorite in the whole book.

This was an accurate portrayal of general life in small-town North Dakota. Everyone knows everything about everyone, except for what each person is really thinking.

Occasional lapses in narrator tense jumped off the page, and some have said there are too many adverbs (which I didn't really notice until it was mentioned). The biggest disappointment was the ending. I wasn't ready for it when it happened.

Klosterfans are likely to enjoy; newcomers to his schtik may not see the attraction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Downtown Owl.