Patricia's Reviews > Love and Haight

Love and Haight by Susan  Carlton

Jun 01, 12

bookshelves: teen-fiction-historical, teen-fiction-problems
Read in May, 2012

San Francisco, 1971, the era of hippies, drugs & "free love", where Chloe has gone to seek a legal abortion after a "slip-up" with a casual boyfriend. I had some problems with the portrayal of the time & place, being from that era & having visited S.F. during "the summer of love- 1967", when I was 21, including Haight St. This novel deals with a real problem for teen girls- whether or not to have an abortion- but the characters mostly seem shallow & rather idiotic, the way they frolic through daily life. We never see very far into anyone's life or thoughts, except for Chloe's struggle to make the right decision for herself. As far as real-life S.F. in 1971, it was not happy hippie scene any longer- it had degenerated into violence & drugs & was no longer a harmonious place of peace & love. Plus the main characters in this book seem to party along, blithely making very serious life decisions. Read it for Chloe's story/ dilemma, & not as an accurate depiction of the hippie lifestyle of that time period.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Haight.