Carol's Reviews > He Who Lifts the Skies

Sep 28, 2008

it was ok
Recommended to Carol by: I'm reviewing books for my church
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** Unbelievable is the one word I’d use to sum up He Who Lifts the Skies, the second book in the Genesis Trilogy by Kacy Barnett-Gramckow. I was impressed with the first book. It was great story and well told, based on the Bible.
This book is pure fantasy. And there are several places in the book that are just plain silly. After five years as Nimrod’s (Nimr-Rada) prisoner, Keren/Karan has still not learned to use her weapons. Plus there is no evidence in the Bible that the first Caucasians were the great-grandchildren of Shem. In fact it states very clearly that Shem, Jepheth and Ham each produced different races, long before this fictional girl came along with her gray eyes.
From the beginning this book skips too much time without filling the reader in on what went on in between. So we are left with little or no background and a jumble of characters that we hardly know. I found it very difficult to keep track of people, let alone how they were related to each other.
I will give the author the benefit of the doubt when it comes to Nimrod being a ruler. The Bible does say that he was a mighty hunter and that he built cities. So it’s quite possible that he lead the way in building the Tower of Babel. However the whole point of the book was the tower and it received very little attention in this book.
WARNING: The following paragraph reveals the outcome of the book.
I was very disappointed in the end of the book. The tribunal meeting, in which Keren and others accuse Nimrod of horrible deeds, was way too short. It was just people (some of whom we didn’t know) shouting accusations and Nimrod brushing them off. I also found it hard to believe that Nimrod, as he was portrayed in the book, would have showed up for this witch-hunt. But the most unbelievable scene was when Shem slits Nimrod’s throat. First, the Lord doesn’t ask people to kill other people. He’s quite capable of taking care of someone’s death, if He feels its necessary. Plus, if this event actually occurred, as it’s told here, I’m sure there would have been some mention of it in the Bible. Especially since Shem, who is counted in Christ’s ascendants, was the supposed murderer.
I will read the next book, as this may be where we see the people confounded by different speech and migrate to other lands. My only hope is that it’s a better story than this one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read He Who Lifts the Skies.

06/19/2016 marked as: read