Sophie Barnes's Reviews > What Happens in London

What Happens in London by Julia Quinn

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: julia-quinn

This was a fun read with a touch of uniqueness, I thought - given that a lot of the plot/dialogue takes place through two windows belonging to neighboring houses. Add a bit of suspense toward the end and this became even more enjoyable.
Our heroine (a.k.a. Olivia Bevelstoke)accidentally spots her new neighbor (our hero - a.k.a. Sir Harry Valentine)in his study while looking out of her own bedroom window. What ought to have been a quick glance, however, quickly develops into a week long period of observation after she notices him wearing a strange hat and doing other odd things, which, unbeknownst to her, has all been a deliberate performance for her benefit alone. Harry knows she's spying on him =)He on the other hand works for the war office, translating documents from Russian into English and can't help but wonder why his neighbor has developed such an interest in him. Though their acquaintance gets a pretty rocky start with a fair share of animosity between them, they're forced to spend more time in each others company once Harry receives his new assignment from the highest authority in the war office - to keep close tabs on Olivia who's supposedly being courted by a Russian prince suspected of having ties to Napoleon.
Lots of entertaining dialogue to be found here, and we even get one step closer to discovering the identity of the author behind the infamous Miss Butterworth And The Mad Baron...delightful!!!
A strong sequel to The Secret Diaries Of Miss Miranda Cheever that I would definitely recommend =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happens in London.