Sophie Barnes's Reviews > A Night Like This

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: julia-quinn
Read in June, 2012

Daniel Smythe-Smith, the Earl of Winstead, returns from his three year absence from England, arriving home on the evening of the yearly Smythe-Smith musicale. Before he even manages to make his presence known to his family, he stumbles upon a mysterious woman - a lady more lovely thank any other he's ever seen before (sigh =) ) - and, forgetting himself completely, he unexpectedly kisses her.
Their little encounter is brought to an abrupt end by the incident that many of you may remember from 'Just Like Heaven', regarding Honoria and Marcus (I loved how this tied the two books together).
But who is the woman that Daniel kissed?
As it turns out, her name is Anne Wynter, governess to the three Pleinsworth girls, except, she's not really Anne Wynter at all, she's Mary Philpott...except, she's not really Mary Philpott either, but Annelise Shawcross, a woman running not only from her past, but from the man who once hurt her.
This is a 'love at first sight' story, where our hero Daniel decides that he really doesn't give a damn about the fact that he's an earl while Anne is a governess (even though she is actually gentry - but he doesn't know that). He falls hard for her and is determined to make her his.
As is always the case with Julia Quinn, the tone throughout the book was light and humorous with just the right amount of intrigue, the characters well drawn, though I must admit that Hugh (a secondary character - the man behind Daniel's three year absence) was my favorite. There was just something about his somewhat dry, matter of fact persona that I loved, so I'm hoping there's a book about him in the works =)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night Like This.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Solange Oooo I am also really hoping for a book for Hugh!!

Sharlene I am starting this one tomorrow! Thanks for the review. I am sure I will love this book!

Solange Just read on Julia's website that the next Smythe-Smith novel will be Sarah and Hugh's!! *Squeee*

Sophie Barnes Solange wrote: "Just read on Julia's website that the next Smythe-Smith novel will be Sarah and Hugh's!! *Squeee*"

YAYAYAYAY!!!! =D

Sharlene Finished the book. Loved it!