Karen's Reviews > Don't Mess with Texas

Jun 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, chick-lit
Read in May, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this book. This is one of those stories where the two main characters are the ones I like the least. All the supporting characters are more interesting people with more interesting story lines. My biggest issue with fun, flirty, girly books like this is all the stereotyping. I find this kind of novel rarely shows realistic (at least in my world) portrayals of men and women and their relationships with each other.

Nikki Hunt did not kill her ex-husband. Really she didn't. He invited her out to dinner, a very expensive dinner, and left her to pay the bill. OF COURSE she mumbles and grumbles about wanting to kill him-- who wouldn't? So when she finds him dead in her trunk, her words come back to haunt her and now everybody thinks she did it.

Dallas O'Connor is a former cop who was wrongfully accused of murder. He's now a PI intent on clearing the name's of others who have been unjustly accused. He meets Nikki and now he's a special sort of PI: a Dick who thinks with his dick. (Sorry, I could't resist.)
He runs his PI firm with two other ex-cops named after Texas cities: Tyler and Austin. And the name of their firm is (ready for this?) Don't Mess with Texas.

There is a subplot involving a kid named Nance. Dallas took his case because he truly believes the kid is innocent. Sadly, Nance's story falls flat as Nance is used as a plot device to further the relationship between Dallas and Nikki. His case and the solving thereof didn't have any oomph.

There is another subplot involving Dallas's cop brother Tony and his estranged wife LeAnn. Those characters are far more involving and perhaps they should have their own book.

So what did I love about Don't Mess with Texas? The humor. The interactions between the characters. The farting dog who sleeps in a coffin. Nana and her crazy group of Ol' Timers. They were great. Dallas and his relationship with his brother Tony and their dad. Tony and LeAnn's relationship. The brotherly type love between Dallas, Austin, and Tyler. It made me want to eat cupcakes.

What I hated: The played out stereotype of guys thinking about nothing but sex. Really?? Way too many mistakes an editor should have caught. Tons of them. Am I the only one who picks this stuff out? The mystery took backseat to the romance and ultimately was resolved in an unsatisfying manner. I was pages from the end of the book thinking "Are they even going to tell me who the murderer was?" And when it was finally revealed I was like "Oh...whatever."
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Mess with Texas.