Lauren Murphy's Reviews > Night Beach

Night Beach by Kirsty Eagar

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: aww2012, aussie-author, ya, paranormal
Read in June, 2012

I read some amazing reviews for Night Beach by Australian author Kirsty Eager, from fellow Aussie bloggers Bree , Shelleyrae and Mandee . So I downloaded a copy from Netgalley and added it to my Kindle to take overseas with me. By the time I started to read the ebook on my flight to India, I had completely forgotten what the story was going to be about, other than it being a YA novel.

Night Beach was a completely unexpected experience, I had no idea what was going to happen next and I was completely drawn into the eerie world of Abbie and Kane. I love how the author didn’t limit herself to the usual YA paranormal formula and came up with something completely unique. The Australian surfing backdrop added another element to the story and actually served as a platform for progressing the story.

The dynamic between Abbie and Kane is full of tension and uncertainty and I could relate to Abbie- her uncertainties, her naivety and her innocence. How many young girls have a crush on the bad boy who they think they never have a chance with? The author didn’t try to make Kane into a godlike being like many YA novels, although to Abbie he may appear that way but as a reader he seemed real, flawed and had the potential to be whatever I wanted him to be even if he didn’t live up to those expectations.

Abbie is a smart protagonist, who is creative and lives in a borderline fantasy world, she sees the grey between the black and white and she grows as a character from passive and naïve to assertive and determined. There were times like Abbie, I became unsure about what was reality and what was illusory which drew me in even further.

I’m not sure what else to say about Night Beach without giving away the details of the plot other than if you’ve thought about picking up this book then I recommend doing it sooner rather than later as you’ll be hooked from beginning to end! I intend to seek out Kirsty’s earlier books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Beach.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

jo mo oh, where to (india)??

Lauren Murphy jo wrote: "oh, where to (india)??"

I travelled from south to north along the western side. So, from Bangalore to Goa to Mumbai to Amritsar to Mussoorie and finishing off in Delhi. I had a blast! I loved India... though I'd time my trip a little better next time so I wasn't arriving in monsoon season!

message 3: by jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

jo mo Lauren wrote: "jo wrote: "oh, where to (india)??"

sounds like an enlightening and exhausting trip. may i ask how long the trip lasted overall? did you like the cuisine from the south or north better? and also did you watch/participate in any of india's festivals/festivities?? do tell!