Brittany's Reviews > Red Seas Under Red Skies

Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: kindle
Read in May, 2012

I definitely enjoyed this a tiny bit less than the first book in the Gentleman Bastard sequence, but only infinitesimally so, and for two reasons.

The first was that I really enjoyed the character flashbacks, the "Interludes", that were present in the first novel and gave an incredible amount of insight into the childhood and upbringing of the Gentleman Bastards, especially their training in deception and the finer arts of Camorr, Tal Verrar, et cetera. However, there was no shortage of intrigue and glimpses into the backstory of the supporting cast of characters in this novel, and some incredible poetry flowing from Jean.

The second reason? It is very likely you will end up having to pretend you have something in your eye or a sudden, inexplicably terrible allergy attack when you read this book if you do so in a public place. I won't say any more, as I don't like spoilers in reviews.

That being said, this is, as expected, an incredible and exquisitely-crafted read, and I absolutely cannot wait for the third book in the series to come out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Seas Under Red Skies.