Rozalia's Reviews > Measuring the World

Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: german-prose
Read from June 01 to 05, 2012

A book dealing with two scientists may seem boring at first, but it was everything but that. I've read Kehlmann before and I guess he's one of the best contemporary writers Germany has to offer. Measuring The World really got you thinking at some points, but it was also a book that you learned from and that made you laugh.
I fell in love with the part where Humboldt travelled to South America and explored the new world (mainly because I'm obsessed with South America and it reminded me of Gabriel Garcia Marquez so so much). So yeah, that part was really awesome. The fact that the novel played in the early 19th century made me really nostalgic, that's just how good Kehlmann described the cities and the whole society.
I'd definitely recommend this book to people who are interested in science, history and who are quite familiar with this type of literature. (You may not like this book if all you've ever read are books for young adults.)

150 years from now, this book will be one of the most popular novels of the early 21st century that pupils all over the world will have to read in their crazy hightech schools, cross my heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Measuring the World.

06/01/2012 page 81