Nicki Markus's Reviews > The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman

Jun 01, 2012

bookshelves: read-historical
Read from June 06 to 10, 2012

This is a very poignant and heart-felt story with real emotional depth. The book centres on the idea that decisions, even those made for all the right reasons, can have terrible consequences.

Tom and Izzy were both well written characters. I found their relationship a little forced at first, but with the arrival of Lucy, you really started to understand the two of them better. Stedman gave us just enough background on each of them for us to understand their motivations, but did not fall into the trap of long exposition.

The lighthouse is almost a character itself and I loved the wonderful sense of place and the feeling of isolation throughout the tale. Janus is almost a world unto itself and that adds further to decision Tom and Izzy make at the start of the novel.

The dialogue felt a little 'heavy' at times, but the prose was excellent - captivating and atmospheric - and the story held my interest from start to finish. At one point I thought I was going to be disappointed at the way it all ended, but then Stedman resolved the book in a way I found pleasing.

This book is a great read for fans of Literary Fiction.

I received this book as a free e-book ARC via NetGalley.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Oceans.

06/06/2012 page 47