J's Reviews > Local

Local by Ryan Kelly

Oct 05, 08

bookshelves: comics
Read in October, 2008

Brian Wood’s Local is twelve years in the life of a girl named Megan. Each chapter (issue) takes place in a new location a year after the last chapter took place. It’s similar to Demo, though I think Local is better written. Wood is pretty adept at portraying human beings in a realistic way, looking at personality, experience, history and environment. Ryan Kelly’s art is nice and fits the story well. The fascinating thing about this series is how much work these guys went to in getting the visuals correct in the various cities issue to issue. Research is cool, man. I enjoyed reading the essays because they gave a unique insight into the stories. In fact, I found myself liking the stories a bit more after reading the essays, not to mention gaining a better understanding of the events in each issue. I would have liked it better if the essays came after each chapter as they did when these were released as individual issues so I didn’t have to flip back and find the chapters to reference what they were talking about. This is good stuff and definitely has left me keeping an eye out for more by Brian Wood.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Local.