Michelle's Reviews > The Impossible State: North Korea, Past and Future

The Impossible State by Victor Cha

Jun 01, 12

It has probably become apparent by now that I am fascinated with North Korea and how such an isolated country can still exist in this world of ever-increasing abilities to communicate with people from around the globe. (I write this review from my couch in Chengdu, China, where I just got off Skype with my parents who live in Idaho, have emailed several friends back in the States and caught up on world news via a variety of online newspapers. I know what I am talking about when it comes to being connected!) Recently, I reviewed Escape from Camp 14 which was a memoir of one man’s time in the horrific camps of Northern Korea. The Impossible State is quite a different look at the country- taking an in-depth approach to everything from the history of the country to detailed looks at each of the Kim family members who have ruled throughout the last decades to the economy as it is today and why it can’t sustain itself.

See the rest of this review (and more!) at www.insearchoftheendofthesidewalk.com
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impossible State.

Heather I haven't read Camp 14 yet but I actually like the political and policy depth of this narrative.. A slow and steady read for me about a place and people of which I understand very little. What other books about North Korea do you recommend?