Chana's Reviews > The Path of the Just

The Path of the Just by Moshe Chayim Luzzatto

Nov 20, 12

bookshelves: jewish, religion, favorites
Read on June 01, 2012

An excellent book, well laid out, so clear and understandable although the subject is very serious. As I understand it this is a famous book of mussar, Mesillat Yesharim. He lays the book out in the stages necessary to attain closeness with our Creator. "These stages are: Watchfulness, Zeal, Cleanliness, Separation, Purity, Saintliness, Humility, Fear of Sin and Holiness."

These are my notes in brief:

Watchfulness (depart from evil)
Zeal (do good) (the positive commandments)
Cleanliness (Vanquish evil inclination) (negative commandments)
--------these things lead to righteousness-----------
Separation (Be holy, separate yourselves) (negative commandments)
Purity (Create in my G-d a pure heart) (positive commandments)
Saintliness (comprehensive performance of all the mitzvot) (positive commandments) (The Torah begins and ends with lovingkindness)
Humility: "The essence of humility is in a person's not attachings importance to himself for any reason whatsoever. His company is pleasant, he gives pleasure to his fellowman. He is perforce never aroused to anger and to controversy. He does everything quietly and calmly. Happy are those who have been privileged to attain this trait."
"Pride is most prevalent among the more ignorant."
"Another deterrent to humility is keeping company with or being served by flatterers."
Fear of Sin (negative commandments)(Know what is above you: a seeing eye, a listening ear and a book in which all of your deeds are inscribed.)
Holiness (positive commandments) (But first, he must have attained all of the noble traits previously mentioned)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Path of the Just.