Amelia's Reviews > Their Friend Scarlet

Their Friend Scarlet by Victoria Kahler

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: indies
Read in February, 2012

Prepare for high-school flashbacks with this one. That's right, get out your year books and start flagging those former BFF's. How many of them do you recognize anymore? Although Mina, Elissa, and Scarlet have stuck to each other like glue all through high-school, they soon find that leaving high school often means leaving old habits and even old friends.

Each character in this story had a different appeal for me, but Mina is easiest to relate to with her secret high school crushes and denial with her insecurities. She's just a typical teenager trying to understand herself and those around her. I particularly enjoy her banters with her nemesis/crush, Diego. Come on, who can resist a smart-mouth boy with a gorgeous smile? Not only is the boy funny and cute, but he's got the brains to go with the bod.

Watching Elissa and Scarlet in college together is particularly heartbreaking to me. Two friends who were once closer than kernels on a cob can't seem to enjoy their friendship now that they're sharing a dorm room. Close proximity doesn't always make close friends, I guess.

Change isn't always a bad thing, though. Despite friendships being put to the test, there's enough humor and romance to lift a reader's spirits like a soaring kite... and then plummet like Charlie Brown's.

I love a book that gives all of my emotions a workout. And after "Their Friend Scarlet," each of mine needs to towel-down.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Their Friend Scarlet.