Sarah Columnet's Reviews > Evel Knievel Days

Evel Knievel Days by Pauls Toutonghi

May 31, 12

Read on May 31, 2012

This is a terrific book, one that astonished me with the beautiful writing and the depth of detail about Egyptian culture and even the history of the state of Montana, where I grew up. The story is simple: the main character, Khosi Saqr, was abandoned by his father when he was a little boy. The memories he has of his dad are not to be trusted. You can't even tell if they are real.

The book starts when his best friend announces some interesting news; I won't go into it, but it's pretty major. The first half of the book is set against a beautifully sketched state of Montana, which I was really astonished by -- learning so many new details about the sad history of my state. Khosi then, in the second half of the book, goes in search of his father.

It's not saying too much to say that he finds him, but that he's much, much more than he expected. I was really astonished by the plot developments, and loved, especially, the Ghost of William Andrews Clark, who appears later, with his "luxurious" mustache (who knew a mustache could be luxurious!), and his Old West accent. The things he says are truly amusing, and he gets explained by the end of the book.

The last scene struck me as a rumination on the role of family in our lives. It astonished me with its simple clarity. I can't say enough good things about this book, which I got in a galley form.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evel Knievel Days.