G. Branden's Reviews > Topology

Topology by John G. Hocking

May 31, 12

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Topology.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (new)

James Oden I have this book and really did want to read it but I lack the math to really understand it. I got to a point that to really go further I had to devote time to really focus on it, and well you know where that time went. Topology though has always intrigued me but I would doubt that what I think its about is incomplete at best or totally wrong.

message 2: by G. Branden (new) - added it

G. Branden Hi James!

You *would* doubt, or *wouldn't* doubt it?

In any case, this is definitely a down-the-road title (except for sampling) for me. Just from gnawing on chapter 1 a bit it looks like I need abstract/modern algebra and real or complex analysis under my belt before I can truly tackle it.

But a friend recommended this one during a fun, rambling discussion about math, so I figured "what the hell".

message 3: by James (new)

James Oden I wouldn't doubt that what I think topology is about is not completely accurate.

message 4: by James (new)

James Oden I collect old math books BTW. I have a calculus book from 1916, which approaches the subject radically different than modern texts, and guess which approach I think is better?

My favorite little treasure is Rene Descartes's La Geometrie (probably mispelled) in both French and English. It shows the geometric basis for all simple arithmetic functions. Never finished it either...actually, rarely would I think a book would be cool to read together with someone but that would just might be the book. That way the two heads can discuss and figure out what is exactly going on in the book.

message 5: by G. Branden (new) - added it

G. Branden Excellent. I need to invite myself over sometime and spend some time gazing enviously at your bookshelf. :)

That's an awesome project, re: La Geometrie. Put me on your list of candidates and maybe we can get to it one of these years. :)