Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Rain Train

The Rain Train by Elena de Roo

Jul 21, 12

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Melody
Recommended for: kids who like trains or are about to travel on a train; as a bedtime story for everyone
Read on July 21, 2012

I love trains. I traveled on them frequently during my childhood and, even though I haven’t ridden one for years, I am still fond of them. I also like rain, especially when I am inside and dry; I love the sound and scent of it.

The premise of this story is, for me, a 5 star one.

I am enchanted by the colors used in the illustrations. I adore the illustrations. They are 5 star worthy.

As far as the execution of the text, well, I love the idea of it, but it was just okay for me. I liked it but I wasn’t wild about it. While this would make a great read aloud book, I think I’d actually have some problems saying the story’s sound effects exactly as they are written. What I do like about the story text is it does capture the sounds of a train ride, and those I love.

This would make an excellent bedtime story. Highly recommended for any child who loves trains or is about to travel on a train. It’s also wonderful to read a picture book that will be equally appealing to girls and boys.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rain Train.

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn I love trains and rain, too ;-) I'll have to watch for this one.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "I love trains and rain, too ;-) I'll have to watch for this one."

Yes, I think you might like it. It's perfect for a rainy night, if you can't get yourself off a train.

Have you been to the railroad museum in Old Sacramento? I was there many, many years ago.

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Yes, I was at the railroad museum years ago. It was very cool. I also got to ride on an old train... somewhere, I don't think it was Sacramento, with my grandparents as a kid. Loved that!

Lisa Vegan Have you ever been on the Tilden Park train in Berkeley? It is fun too. I made the mistake of bringing my dog there thinking she'd love it, but the steam and noises freaked her out. That was a one time thing. I love it though, as do all the kids and other adults I've ever brought there.

message 5: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Have you ever been on the Tilden Park train in Berkeley? It is fun too. I made the mistake of bringing my dog there thinking she'd love it, but the steam and noises freaked her out. That was a one ..."

No, I haven't, but it sounds great! Maybe if I ever get over that way I will have to make that a stop. It is a large train? From the "golden age"?

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Jul 25, 2012 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan It's a miniature outdoor open train. It has a short but beautiful route. Each open car can seat 4 adults easily, 2 going forward, 2 going backward. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

photos:

etc. links from these pages.

It's still reasonably priced

though last time I rode it was $1, and dogs were free.

message 7: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "It's a miniature outdoor open train. It has a short but beautiful route. Each open car can seat 4 adults easily, 2 going forward, 2 going backward. (If I'm remembering correctly.)

Oh, loooove it! Tyler's brother used to (still does?) build miniature trains like that. Well, not that elaborate but that same idea. I rode on one once for a 4th of July event with the train group and it was a great deal of fun :-)

Thank you so much for the info. I'm sure if we get to that area we would love to ride this!!!

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, That is so cool about Tyler's brother, and special that you got to ride a train built by someone you know.

message 9: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Kathryn, That is so cool about Tyler's brother, and special that you got to ride a train built by someone you know."

It certainly was! :-)