Shane's Reviews > The Dream Slayer

The Dream Slayer by Jill  Cooper

Jun 01, 2013

bookshelves: to-read

Sometimes dreams are far more exciting than our reality. Jill proves that in her adventurous and exciting new novel. Why open your eyes when you have a stronger sense of purpose only in your sleep? That's if it you don't lose sight of the difference between the real and the unrealistic.

The story opens up with, you guessed it right, a dream. It's all fun and exciting, totally badass at start, but then we're taken back to a reality where Natalie constantly gets the shit kicked out of her. So, basically its like this: in her "dreams", she's strong, unafraid, and considered pretty, while in "reality", Natalie is seen as beyond average; she's bullied daily physically, emotionally, and verbally. One can understand why she doesn't believe in herself with her peers constantly bashing her feelings. That sucks!

As the story progresses you get the sense that these aren't exactly dreams but are more like two separate lives. It gets intense when both paths are crossed and that's when things really take off. Where the plot's concerned, I liked it. This is different from what I've been reading lately and certainly fresh for the summer. The author was narrating, and not the main character, which made sense being that the story plays out from two different personalities.

Character wise, I felt that Natalie was such a mouthful that I couldn't focus on anyone else. I was too distracted by her. Not a bad thing, but it seems there wasn't much depth to the others to appeal to me.

I have to talk about the romance aspect, which was sweet while it came up, but again, Natalie's battles with her dual self as well as with her enemies kept me preoccupied to even enjoy her relationship.

Overall, I liked the novel. Even though it's over 300 pages the writing style is very fast paced and engaging. I must say though, if you don't keep up well you will get confused by what's taking place, but that makes the story even more interesting. Alternate realities is not easy to write about I should think, but the author did an exceptional job keeping me tuned in.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dream Slayer.

07/05/2012 page 22