Lloyd's Reviews > The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1: The Five Nightmares

The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: 2000s, comic-book-graphic-novel
Read from May 31 to June 07, 2012

When deciding to read some Iron Man books after Robert Downey, Jr. knocked the character out of the park in the Avengers-related films, I went to one of my favorite authors first (with Warren Ellis's "Extremis"), and then on to Matt Fraction's run, which, as of my writing of this review, still continues.

I've got to agree with what many folks have said in reading this first volume of Fraction's run: It takes all the best elements of the Iron Man films and adds a little more to make this one a fine read.

Tony Stark is Iron Man, but there are so many more facets to the character in Fraction's interpretation. He's a ladies' man. He's a philanthropist. He sometimes feels bad that his tech is misused by insane enemies. This sort of characterization is what makes comic books literary and not the "kid's stuff" so many perceive them to be.

Salvador Larroca (who I've always been a fan of) and crew bring some spectacular art to the table, as well. It's the art that a book so in tune with current science and futurism should have.

I'd recommend this one to anyone who dug the Iron Man films, anyone who wants a great superhero comics read, or (as always) fans of the creators who brought it to us.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 1.